WATCH LIVE TUESDAY: Gov. Newsom to give update on California business sectors' slow reopening
Pictures spread over the weekend of crowded Southern California beaches amid a heat wave. Gov. Newsom warned, "Those images are an example of what not to see, what not to do if we're going to make the meaningful progress we've made the past couple of weeks."
Newsom said he was weeks, not months, away from making meaningful changes to the state's stay-at-home orders, but if we see a spike in COVID-19 cases, those augmentations will have to be delayed.
"The virus is as present and prevalent as it's ever been. It's transmissible as it's ever been. Nothing has changed in that respect."
RELATED: When will California reopen? Here's when researchers project California can start to lift restrictions
He later added, "It doesn't take the weekend off. It doesn't take any time off. It is ubiquitous. It is invisible. It remains deadly. Ask the 45 families who lost a loved one in the last 48 hours. Please, please continue physical distancing."
Newsom said he'd work with local governments, like those in Orange and Ventura counties, to change guidelines and increase enforcement, if necessary.
VIDEO: Deputies arrest three protesters during fiery anti-lockdown rally at closed SoCal beach
Just before the governor's press conference, six Bay Area counties announced they'd be extending shelter-in-place orders until May 31. (Read the full story here.)
Newsom said any decisions on reopening in the coming weeks would be done in coordination with other Western states. On Monday, Nevada and Colorado joined California, Washington and Oregon's Western States Pact.
REOPENING PLAN: 2 more states join Western states' coalition on reopening
Over the weekend, the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state grew to over 43,000. Fatalities reached 1,755.
On the positive side, ICU hospitalizations were nearly flat, with only one additional person put in intensive care over the past 24 hours.
"Let's keep it that way," said Newsom. "Let's just get through this thing together so that we can get so much farther, so much quicker."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions