Politicians and community leaders held a virtual news conference to call for a halt of transfers from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation centers to ICE custody to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Assemblymember Rob Bonta says more than 40 members of the California State Legislature and over 50 local elected officials have signed the "Vision 4 Justice" letter. The letter asks Governor Gavin Newsom to "save lives and protect health" by suspending the transfer of community members into California custody and jails to ICE detention facilities.
"We know from years of experience that ICE is a disaster. This is an agency that is not focused on healthy conditions for the people in its custody -- whether its children in cages or families being torn apart. We know that ICE detention facilities here and around the country are not healthy," said State Senator Scott Wiener.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US