The SCU Lightning Complex Fire now ranks third and the LNU Lightning Complex Fire follows after.
RELATED:August Complex Fire now the largest in recent California history, Creek Fire breaks top 10
See original story below:
The SCU Lightning Complex has become one of the largest wildfires in California history, second only to a complex that scorched NorCal in 2018, according to CAL FIRE records. The LNU Lightning Complex now ranks third.
VIDEO: Most destructive California wildfires in history
The SCU Lightning Complex Fire burned 372,971 acres in Santa Clara County, Alameda County, Contra Costa County, San Joaquin County, Stanislaus County, Merced County, and San Benito County, leaving five dead and hundreds of buildings destroyed, and is 35% contained. The LNU Lightning Complex had burned more than 371,249 acres across Napa, Sonoma, Lake, Yolo and Solano countis and is only 35% contained, as of Friday morning.
For comparison, 372,971 acres, or approximately 582.8 square miles, is larger than the entire city of Los Angeles, more than 12 San Franciscos and three times the size of Lake Tahoe.
That's the size of almost 15 Disney Worlds and 731 Disneylands.
The complex could house 282,553 football fields. It could also fit 1,207,494 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
The two fires only rival 2018's Mendocino Complex, which burned more than 459,000 acres in Colusa, Lake, Mendocino and Glenn counties. That fire destroyed 280 buildings and claimed the life of one person.
VIDEO: Here's what it's like driving through Santa Cruz County wildfire at night
This report has been updated to reflect the changing size of the fires.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Latest on LNU, CZU and SCU Complex Fire evacuations, road closures
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- Photos show scope of Bay Area wildfires' devastation
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- How LNU, CZU & SCU Lightning Complex Bay Area fires got their names
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health