With 75% of precincts reporting, the measure had 70% of the vote at 7 a.m. The sales tax needs to secure two-thirds or more of the final vote to pass.
CA PROPS: Results for all the 2020 ballot measures
Voters in the three counties on the Peninsula were asked to vote yes or no on a 0.125% sales tax for the next 30 years to expand Caltrain service, increase train frequency, and make the commuter rail system more affordable for lower-income riders.
If Caltrain was already in financial trouble before the pandemic, that problem has only grown larger since. The agency says 70% of its revenue comes from rider fares, which have plummeted since people started working from home in March.
Caltrain says a small sales tax would provide it with a more stable source of revenue so that it could make improvements to the system. The measure is estimated to raise $100 million per year for Caltrain if passed.
Get the latest stories and videos about the 2020 election here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live election results
- Live updates on presidential election, California and Bay Area polls
- How to watch election results, ABC7 News live coverage on Election Day
- Important updates on key races around California
- California propositions: Results for the 2020 ballot measures
- Here's why early election results may be misleading
- MAP: Every Bay Area voting location
- 3 likely scenarios showing when we'll know the winner of the presidential election
- Want to vote in person? Here's where to go, what to know in the Bay Area
- Here's a deeper look at 3 of the most contentious California ballot propositions