CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A 6-year-old Castro Valley girl who is raising money to help save the Oakland Zoo by selling bracelets is celebrating a big milestone -- she just raised more than $100,000!
Andy Soulard's mom, Kelly, shared a video on Facebook of Andy making the big announcement. "Thank you for the donations. We raised $100,000 so far," said Andy excitedly in the video.
Of course, since Andy is such zoo lover, she had to also include a fun fact from zookeeper Alicia in her message. "Do you know that jaguars have the strongest bite in the cat family?"
The Oakland Zoo is struggling financially after having to close due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. It has not yet been allowed to reopen and now its future is in jeopardy.
Andy plans to raise money as long as the Oakland Zoo needs it. If you donate $25 or more, you can get one of her homemade bracelets.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US