Alameda County announced Wednesday its variance was approved by the state, which allows for the zoo to reopen and for outdoor dining to resume in the county.
This comes after news in recent weeks that the zoo was losing $2 million per month during the COVID-19 closure.
RELATED: Coronavirus Impact: Oakland Zoo at risk of closing permanently unless it's allowed to reopen, CEO says
The zoo was forced to close in March when the pandemic began and was facing permanent closure.
"The zoo will be just another socially distanced opportunity to safely bring families outside and to also help this beloved institution stay open," Schaaf told ABC7.
Though the county has moved forward with the reopening of some sectors, the mayor said this does not mean residents can stop their vigilance during the pandemic.
RELATED: Everything to know about California's confusing coronavirus reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
"We have seen a very disturbing increase in cases," Schaaf said.
She reiterated the virus is still active.
"We've got to take this seriously," she said.
RELATED: 'A community treasure': Oakland Zoo fighting for survival amid COVID-19 closure, will run out of reserves soon
During the interview Wednesday, the mayor also announced $90 million made available to Oakland by the State of California for three affordable housing projects, which would bring 462 more housing units to the city.
The housing would be available to residents making less than $19,000 per year or families of three to four making less than $78,000 per year.
Watch the full interview with Mayor Schaaf above
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US