"Missing All CA Students, last seen 3/13/2020," it reads, almost like an AMBER Alert. The message, for which some parents chipped in their own money, leaves little middle ground.
MORE: California school reopening map shows private schools opening in-person where public schools aren't
"It is insulting to our teachers who are working so hard," said Tamara Litori, a mother.
"I was a little bit shocked. It is offensive to teachers for what we are doing," said Kiyoko Nakano, a teacher.
More than the sign, this issue goes beyond a district, a county, or a state. It's national. What we see in Sonoma County is just a microcosm.
"I think the fundamental principle is to give the kids a choice," said Jennifer Wilterwood. She is a former school board president in Cotati and Rohnert Park.
RELATED: Bay Area doctor argues CDC's plan to reopen schools is a 'big disappointment'
None of the parents who paid for the sign agreed to be interviewed on camera or identified, but Wilterwood knows them. "Honestly, I think it is the unions holding people back."
Maya Perez, the superintendent in that district, describes the issue as being more complicated. "It is a very difficult process to get our schools ready. I will say that some students are thriving and others need to get back."
"Would you feel safe putting your students back in the classroom?"
"Just about. Maybe by March 1."
Ryan Sweet, a nurse and now stay-at-home dad with two kids, says the education system wasn't designed to work this way. "I would never say the teachers are not working hard. But they can walk around in their pajamas all day long instead of being next to kids in the classroom. We need them there."
Fourth grade teacher Kiyoko Nakano responds, "What they don't understand is I am working four times as hard as when I was in the classroom."
For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
See more stories and videos about Building a Better Bay Area here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic