The nonprofit organization had to modify their operations this year. Instead of making the meals themselves with dozens of volunteers, they have had to pivot to keep everyone safe.
The Salvation Army is working with a Campbell-based catering company to prepare the meals.
RELATED: Give Where You Live: Donate to Bay Area food banks
On Friday morning, more than 400 volunteers showed up to cover 170 different routes to get these meals to seniors in need.
"We saw people who normally are donors coming to us asking for help and they were in tears, just that we were able to provide them with the food that they needed for a few weeks. And as we know, this is continuing to last, and the need is just getting larger," said Maj. Matt Madsen.
For some recipients, a visit from a Salvation Army volunteer is the only contact from the outside world they will receive that day.
RELATED: Salvation Army expects 50% drop in holiday 'Red Kettle' cash donations due to COVID-19
The need runs both ways. Costs of delivering this has only gone up with them having to use a caterer.
Those red kettles are down 60% from last year, so the Salvation Army asks if you can help, they would appreciate it.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic