Friday, many rushed to the hair salon, gyms and restaurants to enjoy the last days before the new shelter order begins.
RELATED: 5 Bay Area counties enacting stay-at-home order starting Sunday
"How busy has it been today? It's been super busy. I think people are preparing," said Bob Farina, a Marina supermarket cashier.
One of those preparing is San Francisco resident, Michael Duranceau.
"I'm just stocking up before Sunday, basics. Bread, eggs but not like back in March. I did a lot more back in March," said Duranceau.
VIDEO: SF will run out of ICU beds by Dec. 26 if current trend continues, Dr. Colfax warns
The stay-at-home order comes as the city's public health director projects we could run out of ICU beds by Dec. 26.
"If we wait one or two more weeks to have these restrictions placed on us, it would just mean our numbers would be higher and harder to bring down," said San Francisco Mayor London Breed.
Under the order, all retail stores can stay open, but must drop capacity to 20%. Hair salons, barbershops, nail salons and other personal care services will have to close.
"It's a very tough time," said Simply Cut's owner Cliff Hong.
RELATED: Here's what will close under the Bay Area stay-at-home order
It's devastating news for many business owners who are holding on by a thread as they plan how to survive the next five weeks.
"At least about 25 people calling for appointments for tomorrow," said Hong.
Indoor and outdoor dining will not be permitted. Restaurants will only be permitted to do delivery or take out.
"It's a gift and a curse. We knew that it was coming, but the most difficult part was not knowing when it was, and there was a lot of anxiety around that," said Adam Rosebum, Caswell's co-owners.
These restrictions will last until Jan. 4 2021. Some say they needed more time to prepare.
"I have limitations on how I can access different places and it just seems like a quick notification," said San Francisco resident, Helen Pelzman.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic