"We all want to open and get back to normal," Mayor London Breed said.
RELATED: SF ramping up COVID-19 vaccine distribution, accepting out-of-county patients
The city says it is following state guidelines when it comes to vaccine distribution, prioritizing workers in health care settings and skilled nursing facilities.
"Rolling out the vaccine is a big deal and its complicated," Mayor Breed said.
On the skilled nursing facility front, all residents of Laguna Honda hospital have been offered a first dose.
WATCH: SF Mayor London Breed on controversial French Laundry dinner
Across the city, 13 of the 18 skilled nursing facilities have had vaccines offered to their residents through the federal pharmacy program for long-term care.
The remainder of skilled nursing facilities are expected to be completed this week.
City health officials say most San Francisco residents will receive the COVID-19 vaccine from a private provider.
"When we have a sufficient supply of vaccine to meet need mass vaccination site we expect to have that site up and running," said Dr. Grant Colfax, San Francisco's Director of Public Health.
RELATED: SF orders mandatory quarantine for incoming travelers amid COVID-19 surge
For the uninsured and homeless population, the city is providing community outreach.
"Identifying civic facilities across the city including specifically in neighborhoods with the most highly impacted and vulnerable communities," said Dr. Colfax.
It's a massive undertaking to vaccinate a city and create an environment where businesses can thrive.
"Really when you think about it, we never knew how good we had it," said Mayor Breed.
Mayor Breed also announced relief for small businesses today including $62 million in grants and loans.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic