RELATED: SF businesses prepare for indoor vaccine mandates to take effect
San Francisco police officers, firefighters, and sheriff's office deputies are feeling the pressure to get vaccinated. The city now recommending that eight officers, seven firefighters, and two deputies be suspended without pay for not reporting their vaccination status.
That news comes in light of additional San Francisco restrictions that all of us will face come Friday.
Proof of vaccination will be required at indoor businesses like bars, restaurants, clubs, gyms, and museums like the Exploratorium.
"We believe that the momentum is in the direction of requiring vaccinations, you won't be able to go to a restaurant. Why should you come to the Exploratorium and have a different set of rules?" says the CFO of the Exploratorium Laura Zander.
VIDEO: Delta surge is 'clearly plateauing' in the Bay Area, UCSF doctors say
Most museum patrons like the idea.
"I'm okay with it because I'm vaccinated and I'm also pregnant," says Monica Mendiola.
"I think more people would want to go indoors if they knew everyone inside was vaccinated," says Alexis Wallace.
Others, like Anthony and Nadine Merrow, who are vaccinated say it's not about whether it's the right thing to do, it's about being forced to do it.
"If you want to take that chance it's on you and I don't think the government or city or whoever should force it upon you and say you can't go somewhere because you're not vaccinated," says Anthony Merrow, who is visiting the city with his wife from Georgia.
RELATED: Will we have a 5th COVID surge? Doctors say it's possible
San Francisco Mayor London Breed addressed the issue Thursday.
"The goal is not to punish people, the whole point is education, and to make sure everyone does their part," said Breed.
As for those officers, deputies, and firefighters who haven't shown proof of vaccination, it's left up to department heads on whether they should be suspended.
The city says they could eventually lose their jobs.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic