"Welcome to our "third" first-day of school at Coleman Elementary," joked 4th grade teacher Kelly Whelan about the constant changes over the past 12 months.
In-person learning isn't new to the San Rafael Elementary School district. They began a hybrid learning model in November with cohorts of students coming to campus four days a week for half the day, with additional "asynchronous" learning assignments for the second half.
RELATED: San Rafael elementary schools to return to full time in-person learning
Starting Monday, TK through 5th grade classes will be reunited for four and a half hours a day with no distance learning.
The only virtual classes will be enrichment courses, such as art and music later in the day.
"I think we are really ready," said interim Principal Ruth Reynolds.
She said, since the district began the hybrid model in the fall there have been no cases of coronavirus transmission on campus.
LEARNING LOSS: Solutions for students struggling with distance learning
With the full classrooms, desks have been spaced at least four feet apart, windows and doors remain open and classes also have air filters.
Whelan said most students she spoke to were excited, but also had some apprehension.
"I was talking to kids on Friday and they said it's going to be strange to be around so many people," she said.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic