A public health order issued Wednesday says hospitals and their associated clinics must provide testing to:
- Those who are exhibiting coronavirus symptoms
- Those who have been exposed to a known COVID-19 case
- Frontline and essential workers, such as grocery workers, bus drivers and pharmacy employees
County officials say they need assistance from the major healthcare providers in order to meet the county's testing goals.
COVID-19 testing officer Dr. Marty Fenstersheib said Valley Medical Center has stepped up to the task, but Kaiser, Stanford and Palo Alto Medical Foundation all need to do more.
"We need the help. We ask everyone in the community to join us in this effort, and we felt it was necessary at this point to issue this order," he said.
Santa Clara County was the epicenter of the coronavirus crisis in the Bay Area when the virus was spreading rapidly in March. Since then, Alameda County has surpassed Santa Clara for the most known cases in the region.
As of Tuesday, Santa Clara County has 3,032 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 146 county residents have died.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions