RELATED: San Francisco orders mandatory quarantine for incoming travelers amid COVID-19 surge
Laronica Fisher and her mom Jenny are enjoying a holiday reunion at baggage claim at SFO. Jenny's plane just arrived from Atlanta.
"If they want me to quarantine, I will. I'm just glad to be here," said Jenny Francois.
Laronica lives in San Joaquin County where COVID-19 cases are surging, as for her holiday plans.
"We're staying at home most of the time, mom's a senior so I'm concerned her being out in the public," said Laronica Fisher.
SFO was fairly quiet on Saturday afternoon. But the TSA reports more than one million travelers were screened nationally on Friday.
RELATED: Lake Tahoe travel: CA side closing for weeks after region enters shelter-in-place order
Reminders are everywhere about a mandatory travel quarantine now in effect.
"San Francisco and Santa Clara County now require a 10 day quarantine upon arrival. Other Bay Area counties have other restrictions," said a recorded message at SFO.
San Francisco's order took effect Friday. It's a ten day quarantine for anyone traveling outside San Francisco or Santa Clara Counties.
Penny White just arrived from Salt Lake City.
"I'm staying at my sisters in San Francisco, we'll quarantine together," said White.
RELATED: Should a 'vaccine passport' be required? Experts weigh in on future of eating out, boarding flights, and more
The travel quarantine is mandatory but will the city enforce it? The answer is likely no. Instead, officials hope travelers will do the right thing.
"Only when things get out of control is when we'll take stronger action," said Francis Zamora, Chief of Staff at the San Francisco Department of Emergency Management.
Zamora says for now it's about outreach and education.
Patrice Christianson's family survived COVID-19. She believes people need to stay at home but she doesn't believe a quarantine will work.
"We've got to find a balance so people can survive and live, otherwise they're not going to do any of it, that's where I feel like we are," she said.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic