Wenda Fong, known of producing "American Idol," among other hit shows, produced the PSA while Jon M. Chu, known for "Crazy Rich Asians," directed the piece. Ken Jeong, Randall Park, and Harry Shum Jr. are among the 21 names in the 30-second PSA with a very upbeat and positive spin.
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month so we gathered an army of friends from our community to spread the word. These 30 seconds will be playing IN @AMCTheatres ALL MONTH !! Thanks to everyone who came out to support🙏🏼#AAPIJOY pic.twitter.com/VZh8LiJO0R— Jon M. Chu (@jonmchu) April 30, 2021
"It really just came out of the pain and hurt of what's been happening this past year," Fong said. She had a connection to AMC theaters, who agreed to run the PSA before every movie.
Fong wanted to make sure it wasn't just through Zoom. She says it was all shot in one day and many of the stars were working, but they got it all done on a Saturday night.
Fong is also the chairperson emeritus and co-founder of CAPE, The Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment. CAPE is the largest, longest-running, and most influential organization for APIs in the entertainment industry.
The PSA runs all month long at theaters in honor of Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Bay Area Asian Americans share powerful, painful memories of hate
- 83-year-old Asian man describes debilitating SF attack, warns people 'to be careful'
- 'Go back to China': Racist rant suspect ID'd as daughter of late NY senator
- Asian American victim considers moving out of state after brutal attack in SF
- EXCLUSIVE: 75-year-old Asian man warned about increase in attacks days before murder in Oakland
- Daniel Dae Kim, members of Congress to testify on discrimination, violence against Asian Americans
- Asian grandma knocked unconscious in unprovoked attack in NY
- Family outraged over SF DA's description of 84-year-old Asian man's suspected killer
- Nearly 3,800 anti-Asian hate incidents reported across US since March 2020, group says
- 'This is horrific': SFPD to step up patrols amid string of violent attacks on Asian Americans
- Daniel Wu, W. Kamau Bell discuss shocking crimes against Asian Americans
- Santa Cruz Warriors guard Jeremy Lin comments on racial slur directed at him
- #StandForAsians rally draws hundreds in San Mateo with 7th grader leading the charge
- Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu discuss violent crimes against Asian Americans in Bay Area
- Police investigating after Asian man stabbed in back in NYC's Chinatown
- Burma Superstar offers $5,000 reward as ABC7 receives reports of additional attacks on Asian Americans
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Bay Area gang member arrested after threatening to kill Asians online
- 'We're on alert': Volunteers arm Oakland Chinatown business owners with air horns for safety
- Arrest in NYC assault on Chinese woman after Olivia Munn called for public's help
- Hundreds of people are volunteering to escort elderly Asian Americans to help keep them safe
- Surge in racism against Asian Americans spurs calls for change
- Oakland police chief visits Chinatown shops, emphasizes need for 'greater presence' after attacks, crime