LAFAYETTE, Calif. (KGO) -- The race to vaccinate has been a slow roll out across the Bay Area and the state but there have been some bright spots -- a drive-thru clinic where the COVID-19 vaccine was getting into the arms of hundreds who so desperately want it. It was organized by an East Bay physician who's tired of waiting.
"We feel good we're making a dent in this problem," said Dr. Rebecca Parish.
The playground at Stanley Middle School in Lafayette was transformed into a drive-thru vaccination clinic for seniors Saturday.
Many seniors have been frustrated trying to get the vaccine, like Wayne Hahn.
"I'm feeling relieved, I live in Rossmoor they were unable to get the county to come and give it to the 10,000 seniors who live there like me," he said.
WATCH: Here's why California seniors are still waiting for the COVID-19 vaccine despite governor's go-ahead
"It's incredibly frustrating, patients are afraid," said Dr. Parish.
Parish who is in private practice in Walnut Creek, partnered with the city of Lafayette and local senior organizations to get the vaccine to those who may be homebound or tech challenged.
These days, vaccine doses are like gold, finding 500 of them wasn't easy.
"I'm pretty sure somewhere in there I promised someone my firstborn child, that's not realistic," Parish said.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Parish says she lobbied Contra Costa County for the 500 doses of the vaccine, and finally got them.
Aegis Living in Fremont gave shots to 240 assisted living residents and staff Saturday, a partnership with CVS.
But multiple states now have more appointments than doses. President-elect elect Joe Biden says speeding up vaccinations is top priority when he takes office next week, aiming for 100 million shots in his first 100 days in office.
"This is the time to set big goals because the health of the nation is at stake," said Biden.
RELATED: How can I register for a COVID-19 vaccine in California? Here's how it works in every Bay Area county
Back in Lafayette, Lisa Applegate was overcome the moment she got the shot.
"I didn't realize how much hope I'd feel, it's a good feeling," she said.
The clinic will continue on Sunday, all vaccination appointments were taken but more drive-thru events are planned for the future.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic