SAN MATEO COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- San Mateo County moved into the yellow tier of the state's reopening plan Tuesday. That means restaurants and gyms can have more people inside and bars can now welcome people indoors.
Owen Molloy immediately started dusting off his bar, Molloy's Tavern in Colma, when he heard the news.
"Oh wow, I am so excited," Molloy said. "The first thing I did was come in and take off the plastic and uncover the pool table. We are ready to be a regular bar again."
Molloy's opened up a beer garden and brought in a taco truck to meet the regulations to be open in the other more restrictive tiers and that kept them afloat. But he has seen so many others go under.
"I have seen too many," he said, shaking his head. "The Fairway, a long time bar down the road here. Toppers, hopefully, will open now that we are in yellow. They have been closed the whole time."
Molloy's Tavern was built in 1883. Owen Molloy's grandfather survived prohibition, and now he's proud to say that he survived a pandemic.
County Supervisor Dave Canepa was also thrilled to hear the news that the county was advancing to the yellow tier and is ready to look forward.
"People are always saying 'Are you going to go back to purple tier and ICUs being full?' I think those days are far behind us," said Canepa.
Canepa reflected on the progress the county has seen in recent months.
"In San Mateo County we have vaccinated 76% of our residents, which is totally awesome," he said. "I think we are on our way. I don't see us moving back. I see us moving forward. But June 15 will be another milestone, hopefully the final milestone, for us ending COVID-19."
June 15 is the date Governor Gavin Newsom has said the state will reopen and the tier system will be abolished.
The yellow tier is the least restrictive tier in the reopening plan.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic