"Me and my husband have been unemployed since the pandemic started so this is going to give us a good Thanksgiving meal for us and the girls," said Melanie Duran of Richmond.
It's the stories like Duran's that put it all into perspective.
GIVE WHERE YOU LIVE: Donate to Bay Area food banks
She has depended on donations from the Bay Area Rescue Mission to make her holidays special for the last several years but said this year things have been especially tough financially.
The drive at 123 Macdonald Avenue in Richmond runs until 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Grateful was the word at the annual Thanksgiving food box giveaway Tuesday, made possible by donations from people, corporations, and area churches.
"It helps people that really need it and feed the ones who don't have food to eat and their kids," said Vickie Albert, a longtime Richmond resident.
The plan is to help 1,000 families in Richmond put food on the table for Thanksgiving during hard times. The need this year is greater than ever before, says the organization's CEO. He said the families who come out for help are facing difficult decisions.
RELATED: 'Famines of biblical proportions' feared in 2021 amid COVID-19 pandemic, UN food agency warns
"They're making a choice - 'Do we have a Thanksgiving meal at all? Do we pay rent? Do we buy food? Do we buy medicine?'," said John Anderson, CEO of Bay Area Rescue Mission.
The walk-up drive was held outside and recipients were spaced out in line. Each 'box of hope' was stuffed with turkey, canned goods, other shelf-stable items, and a bag of dinner rolls.
Pastors from partner churches also offered a message of hope as people waited in line.
After the Thanksgiving drive ends the Bay Area Rescue Mission will begin preparing for its next big challenge: the annual Christmas food distribution drive.
The organization, seeing a steady rise in the need for help, is forecasting an even greater need this Christmas as well.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic