The alarming number of new cases surpasses a record set just three days ago when California recorded 35,729 new cases.
The state now has 1,671,081 cases in total.
RELATED: California has refrigerators, body bags on standby as vaccine finally arrives
Another 293 people died of the virus Tuesday, bringing California's death toll to 21,481, which marks the highest number of deaths in a single day.
Another 14,939 Californians remain hospitalized with the virus and 3,188 patients are in the ICU, both of which break records for the highest number of hospitalizations and intensive care patients to date.
The latest COVID-19 data comes as the Bay Area drops below the 15% ICU threshold, which forces a stay-at-home order across all counties in the region.
Most Bay Area counties are already under stay-at-home restrictions, not including San Mateo, Napa, Santa Cruz and Solano counties, which did not opt in to the health order issued earlier this month.
On Wednesday, Marin County reported it had no ICU hospital beds available, just as COVID-19 vaccines were set to be delivered today.
CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
The Bay Area region's ICU capacity fell to 12.7% Wednesday, meaning a stay-at-home order will take effect in the remaining counties at 11:59 p.m. Thursday.
See the latest ICU numbers here.
Gov. Gavin Newsom said that California is expecting another 393,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine next week.
Heroes.— Office of the Governor of California (@CAgovernor) December 15, 2020
Yesterday, these 5 healthcare workers were among the first in CA to receive a #COVID19 vaccine. Next week, we are expecting 393,000 more doses.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but we can't let our guard down now: Stay home. Wear a mask. pic.twitter.com/05OXdIk9BJ
VIDEO: COVID vaccine side effects from various companies explained
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic