SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- As California faces a rising number of COVID-19 cases, Governor Gavin Newsom decided to issue a "limited stay at home order" earlier this week to help in the fight against the virus.
On ABC7's 3 p.m. show "Getting Answers," U.C. Berkeley epidemiologist Dr. Lee Riley and Sen. Melissa Melendez joined Kristen Sze to talk about the new curfew and how it will impact the state.
RELATED: Gov. Newsom orders curfew for most California counties
When asked if the stay at home order would prove effective, Dr. Riley said only time will tell.
"Most of the transmissions that we are seeing right now are in peoples' homes," said Dr. Riley. "(The state) should be focusing more on some other areas where they could make more of an impact. Such as really stressing contact investigations."
Dr. Riley believes that within a matter of days we will see counties that are in the red tier move into the purple tier, placing all of California under the "limited stay at home order."
See the tracker below to find out how COVID-19 cases are trending in your county.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full trend tracker in a new window
When it comes to following that curfew, Sen. Melissa Melendez says that might be difficult considering the governor doesn't seem to follow his own guidelines. Referring to the controversial French Laundry party Newsom attended earlier this month that involved more than three households.
However, Sen. Melendez admits that although this order may not affect a lot of people it will impact some business owners.
Watch the entire interview with Dr. Riley and Sen. Melendez in the video player above.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic