But for Matthew and Katherine Walden of Mountain View, their anniversary to Milan has turned into a nightmare.
"The night that we arrived here in Italy, I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever," Matthew said.
RELATED: Thinking of traveling soon? Expert shares tips on how to navigate pandemic travel
The next morning, Matthew tested positive for COVID-19, despite both he and his wife taking two tests 24 hours before they left and both being fully vaccinated.
Now, they're stuck in quarantine in their hotel for anywhere between 10 and 21 days, depending on how things unfold.
"I tested negative this whole time. So if I still continue to test negative, I can leave on day 10 because I've been in contact with a positive case. But if I test positive on day 10 then that restarts my clock," Katherine said.
VIDEO: California father and son arrested in Hawaii for fake COVID-19 vaccine cards
The trip could end up costing the Walden's close to $10,000, a fee that won't be covered by the travel insurance they purchased.
"We thought we had really good travel insurance. This was both through our credit card through our employer. So that was one of the first things we looked into when this happened," said Matthew.
It's a cautionary tale says travel attorney Randy Warren, who advises everyone thinking of traveling abroad to read the fine print of whatever insurance policy they may get.
"If you buy travel medical insurance, quarantine is not medical treatment, it's medical isolation without any treatment and may well be excluded," Warren said.
RELATED: Unruly airline passengers rack up record $1M in potential fines this year
So for now, the Waldens are hoping their story serves as a cautionary tale for others thinking of getting away, until they're able to get back home.
"Just be aware of the risk of traveling, fully aware of all the procedures before taking a trip that you won't be prepared to quarantine in," said Matthew.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window. RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic