"Many of them wear masks, thank God. But there's no social distancing," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.
DOCTOR'S NOTE: How to safely protest during a pandemic
Gov. Cuomo is recommending that all protesters get tested. More centers are opening in the city. "If you were at one of those protests, I would out of an abundance of caution assume that you are infected."
That's what one unidentified protester in San Francisco did on Friday. "Because I want to see my family next week and have that peace of mind."
If you were marching on Thursday, for example, when should you get tested? The medical community says don't do it the day after protesting because it takes a few days for the virus to replicate and build up in your body.
TESTING CENTER LIST: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the San Francisco Bay Area?
"On the third or fourth day, if you feel like you've been exposed, you weren't able to physically distance, it's OK to go ahead and try to get a test. I would wait a few days before getting one because you don't want to get a false negative," said Dr. Alok Patel.
City Test SF has two testing sites - one along the Embarcadero and the other in the South of Market area. The testing is free but you need to make an appointment online.
A new test center has been opened on Adeline Street in West Oakland. "Easy peasy," said Mayor Libby Schaaf. "You go online, you get an appointment right way, you drive up, they stick a Q-tip up your nose, you drive off and get your test results a couple days later."
With all the protesters, cities face another challenge: contact tracing. City officials say it is nearly impossible to contact the thousands of people at protest.
See more stories and videos about Building a Better Bay Area here.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- WATCH LIVE: Daily briefings from CA, Bay Area officials
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions