SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Federal and California health officials admit the number of COVID-19 vaccines are below what was initially promised.
Tens of millions of doses of coronavirus vaccines were promised to be delivered nationwide by the end of December.
But those numbers are falling short, including here in California.
RELATED: Could COVID-19 mutations impact vaccines? Scientists monitoring new variant
"We know the number of doses that have arrived into the state has produced less than what was originally professed," said Governor Gavin Newsom Wednesday.
Newsom addressed the vaccine shortfall in both his COVID-19 update and in a separate conversation with Dr. Anthony Fauci.
"No I'm not shocked, I'm not disappointed," he said.
Newsom said more than 300,000 vaccines have been administered in California so far.
VIDEO: Why getting a COVID-19 vaccine doesn't mean you should stop mask-wearing
Dr. Fauci said he recently spoke with Chief Operations Officer for Operation Warp Speed, Army General Gustave Perna.
"As we get into January, the feeling is that we're going to gain momentum to be able to catch up," Dr. Fauci said.
Perna has said everyone is working through how to administer the vaccine the right way and ensure it stays in accordance with the cold chain.
RELATED: Doctors explain vaccine effectiveness after nurse gets COVID-19 after taking 1st dose
Dr. George Rutherford is a professor of epidemiology for UCSF.
"Would we be happier with more? Of course we'd be happier with more," Dr. Rutherford said.
Rutherford says right now, a state committee is meeting to make decisions about who will receive the vaccine over the next month and a half, once frontline healthcare workers have been vaccinated.
"I really look forward to getting the large amount of people who want to be vaccinated, vaccinated by the summer," Dr. Rutherford said.
In his conversation with Governor Newsom, Dr. Fauci suggested April could be open season for most to receive the vaccine and that by early fall we could see some sense of normality return.
If you have a question or comment about the COVID-19 vaccine, submit via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic