RELATED: Major reopening rollback ordered in CA in attempt to control rampant coronavirus spread
At her practice psychologist, Andrea Zorbas has seen an increase in depression and anxiety cases as COVID-19 cases increase.
"It sends a fight or flight response. It sends cortisol to the brain and sometimes we don't breathe deeply and sort of go into panic mode," said Zobras.
On Monday, Santa Clara County was scheduled to reopened hair salons, gyms and tattoo parlors but after the governor's announcement, they will have to close again. These changes begin to tax heavily on many.
"Back and forth of a lot of mixed emotions. We are happy for a little bit and then we hear the next day another stay-at-home order and we are hit with a wave of fear again," said Zobras.
RELATED: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay Area Conversation,' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
The lack of ability to cope during these uncertain times is leading many to the ER.
"We're seeing between eight to 10 (patients) a day that are expressing suicidal ideations," said Dr. Chris Colwell, Chief of Emergency Medicine at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center.
Dr. Colwell is seeing a pattern with many of his patients.
"The two patterns are suicidal or on the path to get there and then the other group those who are responding with anger," said Dr. Colwell.
RELATED: Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Shining a light on mental illness
Infectious Disease expert, Dr. Peter Chin Hong stands by this cautiously reopening process.
"I think it's done for specific reasons. Which is that it keeps you vigilant. It is more tiring but it gives people the most flexibility," said Dr. Chin-Hong.
For now, experts recommend not to focus on the everyday changes but to take one day at a time.
If you or someone you know is struggling with mental illness, click here for supportive resources.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US