They hung curtains to cover the cement wall the client will be facing and placed plants on tables. The salon chairs are under tents to protect from the sun.
RELATED: Gov. Gavin Newsom allows reopening outdoor hair salons, nail salons amid coronavirus pandemic
"It's hard and stressful. It is going to take an hour to set up and an hour a day to take down, and it takes multiple people to do it," said Salon Manager Ashley Flowers.
But they decided to go for it when they heard Governor Gavin Newsom will now allow outdoor haircuts.
"I did a poll and found out of 85 people that responded, 84 of them said they would want to come outdoors if that was the only option. So that was our deciding factor," Flowers said.
No color treatments or shampoo is allowed, just haircuts.
LIFE AFTER COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms, schools, sports will look like when they reopen
"We can only perform about 20% of our services but this point 20% is better than no percent," Flowers said.
Adam Dee was the first client to try the new set up. He didn't hesitate when he heard it would be outside.
"I was excited. I was like, 'I can finally get my haircut!' They keep opening and closing all these things. I usually get my haircut once a month," Adam Dee said.
Stylists are worried about dealing with the weather-fog in San Francisco, heat in other areas. A breeze in Walnut Creek Tuesday morning knocked over the tent as they were setting up. There are also salon owners who say they don't have outdoor space.
RELATED: Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
"I feel for them. If you are told you have the opportunity to be outdoors but you really don't because of your environment then that really does not feel good," Flowers said.
The set-up is a work in progress. They moved two chairs outside but are looking to create more space. They have 12 stylists. They are also busy reaching out to customers to let them know they are partially open. They just recently had let them all know they were shut down again.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US