MARIN COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Nearly 2,000 doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine expected to arrive in Marin County on Monday will instead be delivered on Wednesday.
"We had been slated to be among the first and that was exciting. Now we're not quite as near the front of the line but 48 hours over the long term doesn't make a big difference and might give the teams a little bit longer to be even more prepared," said Matt Willis, Marin County Public Health Officer.
BUILDING A BETTER BAY AREA: Vaccine Watch
Willis says the county had been at the top of the list to receive the vaccine due to its ultra-cold storage availability. As soon as the county received the news they got on a call with their local hospitals and skilled nursing facilities.
"They had planned to start vaccinating staff Tuesday, that will now start on Thursday which puts them into the weekend," said Willis.
Willis says all skilled nursing facility staff will be vaccinated by Monday.
"In some ways, these sort of little adjustments are expected it's such a large operation with so many moving parts," said Willis.
Marin was not the only county whose plan was revised according to Willis; though he didn't know which other Bay Area counties were impacted.
ABC7 News has reached out to other counties to see if they have a delay and will add to this report as we hear back from them.
"The main thing is that we've got a vaccine that's safe and effective, it seems like it's actually working," said Willis.
Marin County is also expected to recieve 300 doses of Moderna vaccine next week in addition to another 2,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine.
If you have a question or comment about the COVID-19 vaccine, submit via the form below or here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic