Finn Elder and Gabe Natale have been in a Rome prison since the July 26 stabbing death of the officer. The teens say they didn't know Mario Cerciello-Rega and his partner were police.
The judge now has five days to decide whether to grant the speedy trial. Elder and Natale are accused of conspiracy to murder, attempted extortion and violence toward an officer.
For a look at more stories and videos on the case by Dan Noyes and the ABC7 News I-Team.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- I-TEAM EXCLUSIVE: Autopsy report in death of Italian police officer, Bay Area teens under arrest
- RELATED: Cellphone photos leaked of Bay Area suspect in death of Italian police officer
- Guns, Knives, Drugs: Italian investigators leak WhatsApp messages from accused killer of Rome police officer
- I-Team obtains investigative report on Bay Area teens held in Italian police officer's death
- I-TEAM: New evidence, new questions in case of Bay Area teens, held in death of Italian police officer
- I-TEAM EXCLUSIVE: Father of Italy stabbing suspect talks about son's arrest
- I-Team's Dan Noyes gets inside hotel where Bay Area men are accused of hiding knife used to kill Italian police officer
- Parents of man accused of murdering Italian police officer say he is 'remorseful and scared'
- I-TEAM EXCLUSIVE: Italian Police stabbing suspect posted on Instagram with knife before trip
- Rome Police Stabbing: Step-by-step account of what happened in death of Italian officer