If everyone is fully vaccinated and there aren't more than 100 people masks won't be required in offices, gyms, indoor college classes, or religious gatherings. Participating businesses and organizations are responsible for vaccine verification.
You are still required to wear a mask in retail stores and in common areas of a building like elevators and restrooms. This is only in effect in SF and Marin, other Bay Area counties have not loosened their mask mandates.
RELATED: Solano Co. defends past decision to keep businesses open
The mayor of San Francisco says this is an important step in the city's recovery -- health leaders in Marin say they believe it is safe to take this step because the number of COVID cases continues to drop.
Health officials say older people though who have not received their booster yet or immunocompromised people should think twice and assess their risk before dropping their mask.
Businesses can still choose to keep the mask mandate in place.
Similar rules will take effect in Contra Costa County on November 1.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Mask mandates are back in Bay Area, so what's the safest one to wear? Here's what doctor says
- Here's everything you need to know about COVID-19 booster shots
- What we know about the delta variant of COVID-19 following new CDC report
- Lambda and delta plus: What to know about other COVID variants detected in US
- How to show proof of vaccination in San Francisco or anywhere in California
- Should vaccinated people get tested if exposed to COVID-19? CDC explains
- Can a breakthrough infection still lead to long haul COVID-19? San Francisco doctor explains
- CA COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker: See your status here
- These CA counties are way ahead in vaccinations
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area