Twin Peaks Tavern co-owner Jeff Green showed ABC7 inside his iconic bar. Pre-pandemic, the place would be hopping with customers.
"I miss those days," he said.
Twin Peaks is an institution on Castro Street. It's provided a safe space for the LGBTQ community since opening in 1972. But the past year has been a struggle to survive and the cost of keeping the doors closed is adding up.
"If we didn't have the money for expenses, what do you do? You go out of business," said Green.
RELATED: After 70 years, Lafayette's El Charro Mexican restaurant announces it's shutting down
"It would be a tragedy to lose a landmark, it's a popular bar now," said David Brightman from San Francisco.
Not only is Twin Peaks iconic, it's the first LGBTQ bar in the country to have something unique -- glass windows.
Back then those windows were revolutionary.
"At that time it was risky, if you were seen at a gay bar. You could lose your job," said Green.
In an effort to save the bar, owners started a GoFundMe page to cover expenses. The community has responded big time, so far donating more than $55,000.
"Because we are an institution, people don't want to see us go away, we thank them bottom of our hearts," said Green.
RELATED: 'It's a disaster:' SF Chinatown merchants, denied loans, speak out after 100-year-old staple forced to close
State Senator Scott Wiener from San Francisco says Twin Peaks is a part of history.
"In the LGBTQ community bars are part the culture and part of our DNA, we need them to survive," he said.
Twin Peaks owners hope donations will be enough to get them through until the day they're allowed to reopen the doors and welcome customers back.
Here's more information on how to donate.
There's also another online fundraiser to help the tavern's bartenders.
VIDEO: 2020: Looking back at how the COVID-19 pandemic controlled the year
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic