"I got to say you are quite generous in your description of the government's response here," Zuckerberg said to Dr. Fauci.
"I just think this was avoidable."
RELATED: Dr. Fauci says safe, effective COVID-19 vaccine could be seen at start of 2021
The Facebook CEO expressed his disappointed about the lack of adequate testing.
"The credibility of our top scientists, like yourself and the CDC are being undermined," Zuckerberg added.
Dr. Fauci, the nation's leading infectious disease expert, explained part of the resurgence in cases is tied to failures in reopening.
"The citizenry of the state or the city had the impression you went either from lock down to caution to the wind," Fauci said.
RELATED: COVID-19 vaccine trial: Doctor calls promising results a 'wonderful triumph'
"What we saw were people at bars, congregating, no masks no distance... that's what I believe is at least part of the explanation."
The other factor Fauci pointed out: what did other countries do that we didn't?
"When you looked at what happened in European counties, when they had their peak, they locked down. They locked down to 90 to 95 percent," he said.
Analysis showed stricter lock downs in Europe, resulted in fewer new cases. But as Fauci pointed out, that didn't happen in the U.S.
RELATED: Dr. Anthony Fauci discusses resurgence in COVID-19 cases at Stanford event
"When we went up and peaked and started to come down... we never really went down to the baseline," Fauci said. "We plagued to about 20,000 per day until we into the resurgence."
Is another lock down the answer? Fauci says no, it should be a reset.
"When I say reset button, I say OK, timeout... everybody regroup," he said.
"If you get into a situation where you shouldn't have jumped over the check points you got to think about pulling back."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 risk calculator: Quiz yourself on the safest, most dangerous things you can do as CAreopens
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Reopening California: What's opening and when in the Bay Area
- Everything we know about CA businesses opening and what comes next
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay AreaConversation' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions