RELATED: 'Verge of serious shortage': Bay Area blood centers feeling impact of coronavirus outbreak
"We want to make sure we have enough in our pipeline moving forward into May, into June, because blood donations don't stop," said Ken Toren, Red Cross Northern California Coastal Region executive director.
"People always need blood year-round," Toren said.
Since the start of the novel coronavirus crisis, nearly 150 blood drives have been canceled in Northern California, resulting in more than 4,600 fewer donations.
RELATED: Surgeon General urges US citizens to donate blood to help during coronavirus crisis
ABC7 News spoke to Stanford resident Eva Fourakis, who spent Thursday afternoon at the San Jose Blood Center, fully aware of the growing need.
"Donating blood only takes like 10 minutes," said Fourakis. "Donating platelets takes two hours, but I get to sit here and watch a movie, which I could be doing at home, or I could be doing it here knowing that I'm helping someone."
The Red Cross has implemented new measures to reassure the public that blood donation is a safe process. This includes social distancing and enhanced cleaning of surfaces and equipment. To help maintain the safety of donors, volunteers, and staff, every person who enters the facility is having their temperature checked before they walk into the center.
"We're still going to have traumatic injuries. We still have cancer victims, cancer treatments underway that critically need support with donations of blood," said San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo, who stopped by the center to donate blood and encourage others to do the same.
TAKE ACTION: How you can help amid COVID-19 pandemic
Go here for the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19