Many stores are strictly enforcing the state-mandated coronavirus guidelines and we saw that Sunday night in the East Bay.
Victoria's Secret, Ecco and Lush all had lines as retailers enforce COVID-19 restrictions at the Broadway Plaza in Walnut Creek
"This year you have to wait in line," says shopper Vick Svetcoff.
Gabbi Matteucci said, "I just don't like the lines."
RELATED: New day, new rules: Everything to know about California's confusing new stay-at-home order
But there are lines because retailers are limiting the number of people inside at one time due to state mandates. Some stores are only allowing one or two patrons.
"That's been rough and then not being able to try on clothes has been a bit of an issue too," says Matteucci.
Crowds at Broadway Plaza have been limited this holiday.
"It's not as crowded as it was last year," says Sharri Dancy.
WATCH: Parents scramble to find most-wished-for holiday gifts amid possible toy shortage
But some shopping traditions don't die, even in pandemic times. Diana Lloyd's health is high risk but her father died as a child and since that time she's been bringing her mom chocolate on Christmas. She put on her special leggings, a mask, and came out to See's.
"This is one of the new ones from this year they are candy cane leggings, I was wearing a red sweatshirt earlier so I was completely decked out like a candy cane," says Lloyd.
With all the COVID-19 restrictions and the usual virus complaints, it was actually nice to hear a complaint about something else. In this case prices.
"Expensive! Expensive! Expensive!" says Sarai Butanda-Jimenez.
Something we've all heard before. But this year paying those sometimes expensive prices may just help keep some stores alive.
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- CALCULATOR: Find out how many people may get a COVID-19 vaccine before you
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic