Coronavirus impact: Citations for violating social distancing orders set to increase in San Francisco, official says

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- "We want to educate, we don't want to enforce," said San Francisco Supervisor Aaron Peskin. "95% of San Franciscans are getting that. To the other 5%, don't ruin it for everybody else who's doing the right thing,"

According to SFPD, two individuals have been cited during this shelter-in-place order. One on March 23 and a second on April 2.

RELATED:7 people issued $1,000 tickets for violating COVID-19 shelter-in-place order, Santa Cruz police chief says

Supervisor Peskin says those citations are set to increase.

"We're going to start stepping that up like nobody's business. But we don't want to enforce we want everyone to stay healthy. This is a town that is tolerant, a town that is accepting," said Peskin.

RELATED: Everything to know about San Francisco Bay Area's shelter-in-place order

A viewer who preferred to remain anonymous sent photos to ABC7 news concerned about a lack of social distancing at the Inner Richmond farmers market in San Francisco this morning.

After viewing the photos Peskin responded, "Farmers markets are essential businesses. How they are run is critically important."
Peskin pleaded for San Franciscans to keep their distance while shopping.

RELATED: Bay Area cities urge residents to avoid crowds, practice social distancing on Easter weekend

In the Ferry Building, coffee business Proyecto Diaz has made it a priority to inform their customers and protect their employees.

"Every once in a while there's a person who doesn't understand which is why we placed the sneeze bar. But 99% of people do get it and are practicing completely," said Fernando Diaz, Proyecto Diaz's Owner.

Some farmer's market businesses are pre-packing their produces to avoid contact. Their biggest concern is the potential of a lack of social distancing affecting their business.
"We wouldn't have known that this would be our main sources of income come April. Right now it is the main source of income. If it wasn't for the farmers market we wouldn't be able to pay our rent," said Hannah Love-Diaz, Proyecto Diaz owner.

EMBED More News Videos

Governments around the country are looking at ways to curb the spread of the deadly novel coronavirus. One way is to institute a shelter-in-place-order. But what does that mean and how does it work? We broke it down for you.

If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
Copyright © 2020 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.