Over the holiday weekend, the county issued more than 181 violation notices with fines totaling close to $115,000.
RELATED: Dozens of businesses in Santa Clara Co. face steep fines on Black Friday
Many of the businesses were located inside shopping malls. The most common violations included failure to submit and display a social distancing protocol, as well as failure to post the revised capacity limit.
"It signals to employees that they are in a safe working environment. It signals to the public that this is something that this is a safe space for them to enter, a safe business for them to patronize, and for the whole community, it means that we're all doing our part," said county spokesperson Betty Duong.
VIDEO: Santa Clara Co. reports highest COVID-19 daily case count since pandemic began
The enforcement comes as the county braces for yet another holiday-related surge.
On Tuesday, officials reported 384 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number to more than 35,000 countywide. Public health policy experts hope that some of the county's measures will help slow down the spread.
RELATED: Mandatory 2-week quarantine now in effect for travelers arriving to Santa Clara Co.
"The county is indicating the seriousness of this situation," said Dr. Josh Salomon, a professor at Stanford School of Medicine. "Without putting in place even stricter measures to limit people's activities, (so) I think this effort at enforcement is an example of the county trying to strike that balance."
This week, the county also implemented a mandatory directive for people traveling from more than 150 miles away to quarantine.
"We need people to be able to see the consequences of not following the rules, as well as the advantages of following the rules," said Dr. Thomas Plante, Santa Clara University psychology professor, who also made mention of a potential vaccine. "We just have to be hyper-vigilant for a few more months, and we're almost there. None of us want to be the last soldier killed in the war before the peace treaty is signed."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic