MedShare is usually the "guardian angel" of medical supplies around the world. If there's a tsunami or a hurricane, this nonprofit ships out surplus medical goods donated by hospitals.
LIVE UPDATES: Tracking all the latest developments in the novel coronavirus outbreak
But now the need is in their own backyard. And the surplus of coronavirus supplies has dwindled.
Eric Talbert, MedShare Western Regional Director said, "We are distributing the last of our isolation gowns, the last of our N95 masks and we continue to find as many matches as possible through the end of today for surgical masks and gowns. You don't have any left? No. This is it? This is it. "
Boxes will be picked up Tuesday night by UPS and delivered on Wednesday to 46 clinics in California that serve a vulnerable population including the homeless and the elderly. Twelve of those clinics are right here in the Bay Area including a women and children's shelter in San Leandro and medical clinics in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley. Blue Shield of California is funding the distribution of tens of thousands of items.
LATEST LOCAL CASES: Updated number of COVID-19 cases, deaths in San Francisco Bay Area
Dr. Malaika Stoll with Blue Shield of California said the biggest need is for masks and protective gear for healthcare professionals on the front line who may be impacted by the virus.
MedShare volunteers can no longer show up and due to the disruption in the global supply chain it will be weeks before more N95s are available from Ohio manufacturing facilities and surgical masks and gloves are available from China.
Go here for the latest news, information and videos about the coronavirus.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What to know about COVID-19 in Calif., how it's affecting San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus: Cancellations, suspensions and shortages related to the global virus outbreak
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Everything Americans need to know about coronavirus
- Coronavirus Prevention: How to properly wash your hands
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Coronavirus Outbreak: 7 questions answered
- Is the new COVID-19 virus more 'deadly' than flu? Not exactly
- Coronavirus outbreak: Health expert shares tips for preparedness, emergency supply list to stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF artist creates realistic-looking custom respirator masks that unlocks iPhones
- Coronavirus outbreak: SF doctor explains how to protect yourself, stay healthy
- Coronavirus: SF State educator addresses xenophobia in the Bay Area
- SF Mayor London Breed explains declaring state of emergency over coronavirus