"This zip code has been most affected by the COVID-19 virus. Our Latino families are testing at more than six times the rate of our white families," said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaff, who also provide the message in Spanish.
Free drive-thru testing will take place Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the La Clinica de La Raza parking lot, one of the organizations partnering with the city to make it happen.
RELATED: Rapid COVID-19 results for travelers is another example of pandemic's unequal impact, health advocates say
La Clinica, The Unity Council, La Familia, and UCSF are working together to provide 4,000 viral and antibody tests to one of the hardest hit neighborhoods in the Bay Area.
"Essential workers have been working this entire time now it's our turn to take care of them," said Chris Iglesias, CEO of the Unity Council.
City leaders said the Fruitvale neighborhood, with a dense Latino population, is filled with essential workers.
VIDEO: Coronavirus Testing: What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
Many are concerned a positive test result could pull them off the job for a two week quarantine and put an end to their income, taking food off the table.
That's why La Clinica is providing wrap-around social services to support families that have someone in the home test positive.
The organization is working to provide stipends to cover basic bills and supplemental food support among other resources.
RELATED: Interactive map shows what's open, closed in the San Francisco Bay Area
"The only way that we're gonna get a handle on this is to find out where our positives are," said Jane Garcia, La Clinica's CEO.
UCSF will study the data reflected in the antibody tests to help determine how the virus is spreading so rampantly in this community.
You do not need to have symptoms in order to get tested and children are encouraged to get a test as well.
Testing is free and you will not be asked about immigration status.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic