Peri Friedman and her two sons, Leo and Lucus were lugging gear to the beach at Crissy Field because parking lots are closed.
"The parking is closed, there's a pandemic, but we're going to have fun at the beach no matter what today," Friedman said.
RELATED: 'Our luck ran out': UCSF doctor explains what went wrong in California's fight against COVID-19
With COVID-19 infections on the rise, San Francisco officials have urged people to stay home this holiday. The parking lots at Ocean Beach are off-limits, the beach is open but not as busy as a traditional Fourth of July.
Pacifica Mayor Deirdre Martin closed all the beaches in her town from Esplanade to Linda Mar.
"We were worried about large groups of people congregating, as you know that's one of the top causes of spread for the virus so we wanted to make sure our community is kept safe," said Martin.
RELATED: Half Moon Bay, Pacifica beaches closed through July 4th weekend amid COVID-19
Sorry, no spectacular firework shows this holiday, most have been canceled in the Bay Area. No patriotic parades either. Sausalito is where you can usually find a big parade but on Saturday, the streets were silent. Barely a hint of red, white and blue anywhere.
"Today is gloomy, it's just not the same, you don't see decorations out," said tourist Nicole Nelson.
Ginger Trask said her chocolate store on Bridgeway might have been selling ice cream and drinks to parade-goers.
"It's less fun, no customers it's worse for the owners, they don't make any money," said Trask.
RELATED: July 4th: What's allowed and what's not in California
For others, celebrations may be hard to find but the spirit of the Fourth is still bright.
"We're still patriots, we still love the United States of America," said Peri Friedman.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- California reopening: Here's what's open, closed in the Bay Area
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- When will the San Francisco Bay Area reopen? Track progress on 6 key metrics to reopening here
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- Here's everything allowed to open in CA (and what we're still waiting on)
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- WATCH: ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US