PETALUMA, Calif. (KGO) -- The Sonoma Marin Fairground, one of three shelters taking in evacuees from the Glass Fire, reached capacity early Monday morning.
"We just heard more and more sirens," said evacuees Vallie and Tony describing their last moments in their Santa Rosa home.
"Do you know the status of your home?" ABC7's Stephanie Sierra asked.
"Don't know... all we know is it jumped over Highway 12 over into Oakmont," they said.
The two are just a fraction of the more than 68,000 residents forced from their homes in the North Bay.
Dr. Allison Keanu is the CEO of the Sonoma Marin Fairgrounds. She says the fairground was transformed from a COVID-19 testing site to a shelter overnight.
"People have different needs," she said. "We have automobiles, a car camping area, RV's another place -- we're just trying to make it accessible for everyone once they arrive here."
Approximately 160 evacuees from a senior living facility in Santa Rosa are temporarily staying inside several buildings spaced 8 feet apart.
Ed Wayne thought his friend was one of them.
"I tried calling him and he wasn't there," said Wayne. "It's scary."
Wayne said he showed up to the evacuation shelter to help in any way that he could.
"People need help right now," he said in tears. "Our community needs us."
That's what Kathy Guthormsen set out to do after hearing her friends evacuated from the Santa Rosa Bird Rescue Center.
"Several of them had to leave their homes in the middle of the night," she said.
It's living with that pain of simply not knowing.
"Are you scared" Sierra asked.
"Yes... as they say you hope for the best and prepare for the worst."
More information on evacuation orders, warnings and centers can be found here.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area with this interactive map
- What we know about the fires burning in the North Bay
- LIST: Wildfires prompt evacuation orders & warnings in Napa, Sonoma counties
- Track air quality levels impacted by smoke from wildfires
- Video shows smoke, flames in wine country as Glass Incident, other fires rage
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Comparing the 10 biggest wildfires in California history
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire