RELATED: Here's the latest on wildfires burning in Bay Area
Mendocino Sheriff's officials have issued a mandatory evacuation order for the following areas in Willits: Big John Road, Sky View Road, First Gate Road, Schow Road to Ryan Creek Road, north boundary of Shimmins Ridge Road, east of Highway 101 (approximately 1 mile east of 101), south to Reynolds Highway.
Evacuations have also been ordered for the following areas in Covelo: South of Boardman Ridge/Anthony Peak, East of Nebo rock, North of McCoy Ridge and West of the Glenn County/Tehama County line with Mendocino County.
EVACUATION ORDER (Willits area)— Mendocino Sheriff (@MendoSheriff) September 7, 2020
for active fire for Big John Road, Sky View Road, First Gate Road and Schow Road to Ryan Creek Road.
Fire is moving north. Take the safest route out of the area.
Update: EVACUATION ORDER - Boundaries expanded - Willits Area (#OakFire)— Mendocino Sheriff (@MendoSheriff) September 7, 2020
*North boundary is Shimmins Ridge Road
*East of Highway 101 - approximately 1 mile east of 101
*South to Reynolds Highway
EVACUATION ORDER - Covelo area— Mendocino Sheriff (@MendoSheriff) September 7, 2020
South of Boardman Ridge/Anthony Peak,
*East of Nebo rock,
*North of McCoy Ridge and
*West of the Glenn County/Tehama County line with Mendocino County.
Sheriff's officials say the fire is moving north and advise residents to take a safe route out of the area.
Crews are working on getting Willits High School set up as a shelter.
CAL FIRE says the vegetation fire started around 12:15 p.m. west of Highway 101 near Big John Road and Skyview Road. At least 200 acres have burned and one structure has burned, with multiple others threatened. There are no reported injures.
Firefighters are working in extreme conditions, with blazing heat, low humidity with a potential for erratic winds.
The Oak Fire is not known to be related with the lightning complex fires burning in the Bay Area.
Stay with ABC7 News for updates on this developing story.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- Bay Area air quality worst in the world as wildfires rage in all but one county
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- What to do right now to prep for a planned power outage
- Here's how to store electricity before a power outage
- Tips for getting through a long-term power outage
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health