More evacuations are expected. At press conference Thursday morning, officials with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office said people should be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.
"With this fire, you just don't know how things are going to go," said Deputy Chief Chris Clark. "We operate under the best intelligence that Cal Fire provides based on how this fire is acting. If an order goes out, it's for good reason, and you need to leave."
Overnight, several homes were destroyed in the town of Bonny Doon. The houses were on Empire Grade Road.
INTERACTIVE MAP: Track wildfires across Bay Area, other parts of California
There are mandatory evacuations from Davenport south to the Santa Cruz city limits. The evacuation zone also includes neighborhoods the northern part of the county, such as Boulder Creek, Bonny Doon and North Coast. Residents of Ben Lomand and Lompico were ordered to evacuate last night.
On the Peninsula, the fires have forced evacuations across San Mateo County. The orders include the communities of Loma Mar, Dearborn Park, Butano State Park, Pescadero Creek County Park and surrounding areas.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- Bay Area air quality worst in the world as wildfires rage in all but one county
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- What to do right now to prep for a planned power outage
- Here's how to store electricity before a power outage
- Tips for getting through a long-term power outage
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health