VIDEOS: Family, 49ers legends remember Dwight Clark at memorial in SF
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi were among the dignitaries who celebrated Clark's life. Before he died, Clark chose those closest to him to speak at his funeral.
"I'm not one for writing things down, but I won't lie. This is probably one of the toughest things I've ever had to do," 49ers legend Joe Montana said during the memorial.
Many wonderful moments from a celebration of life for Dwight Clark. Eddie DeBartolo summed up #87’s approach best: Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened. #NFL #49ers #TheCatch #RIP pic.twitter.com/AErdeQE2Oj— Mindi Bach (@MBachSports) August 1, 2018
But the difficulties were overcome by the pure joy Clark was known to bring to the fans and to those who knew him best.
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened," former 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo said.
Clark is best known for making the winning touchdown catch in the last minute of the game against the Cowboys in 1981, sending the Niners to their first Superbowl ever. Former offensive lineman Guy McIntyre said before the ceremony he wants people to know there was much more to Clark than that catch.
RELATED: South Bay sports community reflects on Dwight Clark's passing
Clark fought a two year battle against ALS. He died last month at the age of 61. He is survived by his wife Kelly and three kids.
Clark's remains are buried on the property of former owner Eddie Debartolo, who also has the same goalpost that stood during that famous play. The tombstone is the exact distance from the goalpost that Clark was when he made the catch
Click here for more stories on the San Francisco 49ers.
STORIES & VIDEOS ABOUT CLARK
- 49ers great Dwight Clark dies at 61 after battle with ALS
- Funeral service for 49ers legend Dwight Clark held at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco
- 'One of the toughest things I've ever had to do': Joe Montana remembers Dwight Clark
- 'I know he loved me, and I sure loved him': Eddie DeBartolo gives eulogy at Dwight Clark memorial
- 'He was the most wonderful father': Daughter remembers 49ers legend Dwight Clark at memorial in San Francisco
- 49ers' Brent Jones remembers Dwight Clark at private memorial service in San Francisco
- 'He carried that passion': Brother, niece remember Dwight Clark at memorial
- South Bay sports community reflects on Dwight Clark's passing
- Friends, fans react to death of 49ers legend Dwight Clark
- San Francisco 49ers honor Dwight Clark at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara
- Mike Shumann honors teammate, friend, Dwight Clark after emotional reunion
- San Francisco 49er teammates react to Dwight Clark's ALS announcement
- Mike Shumann on former teammate Dwight Clark: 'There will never be another 87'
- VIDEO: Behind-the-scenes with 49ers 1981 championship team
- Lafayette man battling ALS offers support to 49ers legend Dwight Clark
- Former San Francisco 49ers WR Dwight Clark announced he has ALS