SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- During a White House task force briefing in early April, Dr. Anthony Fauci said black Americans are dying of coronavirus at much higher rates compared to other Americans in some major cities. Dr. Fauci said this is due in part to existing health disparities.
In an effort to provide those with the information they need, ABC7 presents, "Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation," a virtual and interactive town hall on the impact of COVID-19 on the African American community.
The panelists included:
- Dr. Monica McLemore, RN, UCSF Associate Professor, Family Healthcare Nursing
- Pendarvis Harshaw, Author, Host of Rightnowish and columnist at KQED Arts, Oakland
- Rep. Barbara Lee, CA-13th District
- Chuck Collins, President and CEO of the YMCA of San Francisco
- Eva Patterson, President and Co-founder of Equal Justice Society, Oakland,
- Debra Gore-Mann, President and CEO of Greenlining Institute, Oakland
RELATED VIRTUAL TOWN HALLS FROM ABC7:
- 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation': How COVID-19 is affecting the Asian American community
- 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation': Virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on Latino community
- ABC7 Listens 'From Anger To Action: A Bay Area Conversation'
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19