The goal is to gain the upper hand on the Glass Fire while the winds are down.
"And so that's why we're really trying to button up the lower parts of the fire with our burnout firing operations and an aggressive mop up there," explained CAL FIRE Battalion Chief Mark Brunton.
WATCH: Drive down Highway 29 shows damage to historic Napa County wineries
Just below Diamond Mountain, in downtown Calistoga, it's raining ash, but no homes or businesses in town burned overnight, a night that prompted mandatory evacuations, though some residents still tried to get back in.
"I am just trying to get to my house in Calistoga. I have Koi fish I have to feed," said Stephen Barbessono, after he was turned away by a police officer at a road block.
#HAPPENINGNOW It’s raining ash in downtown @VisitCalistoga right now, but from #GlassFire high in the hills, not in town. Still there are concerns that winds could cause trouble tomorrow. As one nearby resident told me... “It’s been very stressful.” https://t.co/RH1TmIkzBJ pic.twitter.com/1jASuyPze3— Laura Anthony (@LauraAnthony7) September 30, 2020
"Last night was the stressful night so far of the last three nights," said Heidi Vardaro, who lives just outside of Calistoga with her boyfriend. "I couldn't sleep. The mountain was in flames."
The people here are clearly weary. A series of fires in recent months and years has left them on edge, always wondering whether to stay...or go.
RELATED: What we know about the fires burning in the North Bay
"If the ten acres above me go, there's nothing we're going to be able to do," said Napa County resident Gregory Winter, who lives in an area now under an evacuation warning. "We've got a cab over camper, it's fully packed. As soon as we feel it's unsafe, we're gonna split."
For those who live in and around the otherwise idyllic wine-country town, being ready to go, has become a way of life.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area with this interactive map
- What we know about the fires burning in the North Bay
- LIST: Wildfires prompt evacuation orders & warnings in Napa, Sonoma counties
- Track air quality levels impacted by smoke from wildfires
- Video shows smoke, flames in wine country as Glass Incident, other fires rage
- VIDEO: Enormous plumes of smoke, orange haze from Glass Fire in North Bay
- Video shows massive destruction from North Bay Glass Incident Fire
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Comparing the 10 biggest wildfires in California history
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire