SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Jesse Wilson is graduating from Antioch High School with a 4.0 GPA. He was ready to start his college life after getting a scholarship to the San Francisco Art Institute and he was excited to see "Hamilton" and meet the stars behind the musical. That all disappeared as the COVID-19 pandemic took center stage.
Jesse is also on the autism spectrum.
His mother saw that ABC7 is spotlighting students who are graduating - since they won't have an official ceremony. So she wrote into ABC7 and Reggie Aqui decided to reach out to some friends to cheer Jesse up.
Julius Thomas III, who played Hamilton in San Francisco, and Dan Scanlon who directed "Monsters University" and "Onward" for Pixar, taped messages for Jesse who is celebrating his birthday on May 4.
"Jesse feels so uncelebrated at times," Jesse's mom Velma said. "Parents that have autistic children know they are not the social butterfly, they're socially awkward in some regard. But they're very unique and creative people. They learn differently. They love differently. To see that (video) was very, very, very touching."
Here is a full video showcasing the incredible story of Jesse Wilson:
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19