AMERICAN CANYON, Calif. (KGO) -- CALFIRE and the Napa County Sheriff's office say a 26-year-old man is a person of interest in their investigation of the Newell Fire. The man was detained by authorities Monday, and is still recovering from burns in the hospital.
Authorities say they are investigating his relation to a burning car found near the Newell Fire in American Canyon Monday evening.
"There was a subject leaving the area of the fire where there was a vehicle off road," said Napa County Sheriff Oscar Ortiz. "He tried to flee our deputies, but thanks to some help we apprehended him."
They say that man might be in the hospital for a few days. He is currently not a suspect in relation to the fire.
CALFIRE says the Newell fire is now 100% contained. It has stopped spreading, but they are keeping crews onsite to put out hotspots.
"There is still some areas that are burning a little bit, you might not be seeing flames, but there are still some areas of concern," said Erick Hernandez, with Napa CALFIRE.
The area that burned is on a hillside near American Canyon High School. No structures were damaged and evacuation orders are lifted. They say around 132 acres burned, but with high winds still in the area, CALFIRE has crews on high alert.
"We already knew we would be facing some challenges so our station decided to step up and increase and augment our crews at our stations and also our air support," Hernandez said.
For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows riskiest areas in California for damaging wildfires
- How bad will CA's fire season be? Here's what we know, what we don't
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- The deadliest wildfires in California history
- Live: Track Bay Area air quality levels
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health
- What are the diablo winds and how can they influence Northern California wildfires?
- What you need to know about Santa Ana winds and California wildfires
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to pick a mask for protection during a wildfire
- Red flag warning: What to do during dangerous fire conditions
- Everything to know about red flame retardant dropped during wildfires
- What happens to animals during wildfires?
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- How wildfires create a serious threat for flooding and mudflows
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires