RELATED: Oakland Unified school board proposes start date to reopen schools for in-person learning
"Our kids have been out of school for a year now," said parent, David Castillo. "We believe it's time for them to be back in. It's safe now."
The rally was held at Astro Park, off of Lakeshore Avenue, next to Lake Merritt.
RELATED: 'You will not be allowed to interact': East Bay teacher discourages kids from in-person learning
Other parents at the rally told ABC7 News that distance learning is hurting their children, and they just want to have the option of sending their kids back to class.
The Oakland Unified School District recently put out its latest plan to get Pre-K through fifth grades back in school by late March. The Oakland Educators' Association teachers' union says the plan does not address all of the safety measures needed.
VACCINE TRACKER: How California is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- How to register for COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- VIDEO: When will I get the COVID-19 vaccine? We explain who goes 1st
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- How are Chinatown businesses surviving? Here's what we found
- From COVID-19 to Black Lives Matter, these 13 people defined the Bay Area in 2020
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic