STINSON BEACH, Calif. (KGO) -- Stinson Beach in the North Bay was a hot spot for those trying to escape this weekend's record-breaking Bay Area heat.
"We have a friend that comes every Saturday, so we wanted to join him this weekend," says Michael Anderson, from Fairfield, who came out with his family.
Bodyboarding to football are among the activities on the beach, while for others, it was a chance to just to sit and relax.
"I've been constantly in front of a computer working from home for so long, that I just want to be able to relax in an open environment," explains Shola Dada, who lives in Oakland.
However, the large crowds, like those at Stinson Beach, is a concern for many health officials.
Cases of COVID-19 jumped nationwide after Memorial Day weekend. There was a similar pattern after the Fourth of July.
"There is always a concern (of COVID-19), but everybody is social distancing," says one Novato resident, pointing to the crowds at Stinson Beach. "I don't really see groups of people that don't know each other, that are together. Most of the groups out here are tight, together and they know each other. I think the social distancing out here is good."
About 30 miles inland, Mike Howard was out with family and friends for lunch in Novato, where temperatures where higher than along the coast.
Streets in the downtown were closed off for outdoor dining. It may be hot, but Howard says, the family just needed to get out.
"It is very hot," says Howard, but adds, "Even though it's hot, I'd rather do that, than be cooped up in the house."
As temperatures climb over the long weekend, the Margaret Todd Senior Center in Novato, is one of three cooling centers in Marin County that will be open Sunday and Monday.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get aCOVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic