SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- As the number of domestic violence cases continue to rise during the COVID-19 pandemic, Santa Clara County officials and community leaders are working to connect survivors of abuse with much-needed resources.
Since the beginning of the shelter-in-place order, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office has seen a 46% increase in calls for service related to family violence.
TAKE ACTION: Get help with violence, assault and abuse at home
Data collected by county officials also reveals a drop in the number of new victims seeking help from local agencies.
That's because they may be afraid to reach out for help while at home with their abuser or they assume that services aren't available during the lockdown.
"We are open for business," said Cindy Chavez, president of the Santa Clara County board of supervisors. "If you need us, we're going to be there for you."
The county says people should call or text 911 in the event of an emergency. Community members can also go online to Safe Chat Silicon Valley at designated times throughout the day to connect with a counselor. In addition, the YWCA crisis support line remains fully operational.
"The bottom line is that sheltering-in-place is not safe for everyone and we want to make sure that the message is amplified of support," said Tanis Crosby, YWCA of Silicon Valley chief executive officer.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US,around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of livingin the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19