Many mistakenly associate the gig economy with just rideshare drivers. In reality, the gig economy includes a whole lot of other people.
Patrick and Beth Hunt work as performers ranging from hosting karaoke nights in a local bar to performing in a rollerskating performance group.
RELATED: Trump signs $2.2T coronavirus stimulus package after swift congressional votes
The stay-at-home order cut them both off from gigs they take to supplement their income from their day jobs in the non-profit world.
"We are now missing our living money, right. Our groceries. How we pay our rent. Everything," said Beth.
Travis Fukuda is an audio engineer at a local theater. The shutdown left his economic footing on shaky ground.
"I'm still coasting on the money that was paid out to me on the last round of paychecks. After that, I'm not sure what I'm going to do," said Travis.
Travis, Patrick, and Beth should all qualify for unemployment benefits as independent contractors or gig workers under the stimulus bill.
RELATED: Coronavirus impact: South Bay mom navigates unemployment, unsure of financial future
"We take a lot of different gigs as stage hands living in San Francisco. So, I was really happy to see that unemployment benefits had been extended," said Travis.
Beth and Patrick are also raising their 8-month-old daughter, Charlie.
"It's pretty scary when you have a baby, thinking about are we going to have to move if we can't pay rent," said Beth. "How long is this going to go on for?," she said.
Beth says her spirits have been bolstered by friends who have dropped off everything from toilet paper to meals to help her family.
Take a look at more stories and videos by Michael Finney and 7 On Your Side.
Go here for the latest news, information and videos about the coronavirus.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus California: Everything to know about stay at home order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19