For two decades, The University of California Santa Barbara has been developing LED lights for homes, winning the lead researcher a Nobel Prize.
More recently, the project turned its focus to cleaning.
RELATED: A professional cleaner gives best tips to clean and disinfect your home and office
Researchers originally started to use UV light to disinfect water, but since the COVID-19 pandemic, they're trying to use the same technology to disinfect personal protective equipment or even air and water from the coronavirus.
"That's what we do. We increase the efficiency and the power in the lights," UCSB Professor of Materials Steve DenBaars said.
"So as the efficiency and power of the lights increases the time required to disinfect goes down. And in one case I saw they were able to disinfect an entire surface in 30 seconds."
If the National Institutes of Health confirms it works, it could eventually be used to clean even more.
RELATED: Coronavirus safety: Consumer Reports' tips to keep car clean from COVID-19
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Coronavirus data: See how the curve of COVID-19 cases is bending in each Bay Area county
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: ABC7's interactive town hall 'Race and Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation'
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19